Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sec 6.6 and 6.7 due May 7th

What is difficult?

Nothing was overall difficult about the reading. It was difficult understanding how such function exits such that f(x) is easy to compute but given y such that y = f(x) it is hard to find y. It seems like such a function would have to be so complex otherwise a binary search could easily find the x that will accomplish it.

Reflections:

As mentioned about the idea of trap door function is so new and weird to me. When I first learned RSA (and understood it) I was amazed at how you can use the fact that factoring is so complex. And it just perplexes me that there is no easy way to do these things. It was like when I learned about NP-hard and NP-complete problems. Just the idea of technically giving the enemy everything they need to know, yet they still cant decrypt seems so weird. And as computer and algorithm get faster and faster then perhaps the methods will fall and trap door functions will cease to exist!

No comments: