What was Difficult?
The more difficult part about this section was following some of the primality tests. For example, I gave up trying to understand the Miller-Rabin Primality Test and also why it can fail sometimes. A lot of the justifications were also hard to follow. Its sometimes hard for me to read the really dry math explanations of how things work, I'm sure in class discussion (where I can ask questions) will help me better understand the material.
Reflections:
So up to this point all my primality testing functions that I have written in c code have been just try to divide the number by all the numbers up to its square root. Which always worked for me because I never really needed to test the primality of large numbers. However, as the book mentions this will take a computer 10^81 years to calculate all the primes under 10^10. So it was cool reading about all the improved methods of proving something prime or proving something to be composite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment